About Me

My photo
I am a senior at Mercer University majoring in Psychology and Spanish. I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate, but right now I am thinking about going to Physical Therapy School.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Generation of Globalization


Reading Friedman's book The World Is Flat has really gotten me thinking about the globalization of the world that he talks about, and although I don't have much knowledge about politics and I still don't completely understand the idea of globalization, my opinion is that it may not be as good of a thing as he makes it out to be.
More specifically, the idea of the entire world becoming so interconnected that it will eventually make the world "flat" makes it seem to me as though this world will someday become so interconnected through technology that it will go beyond being a good thing and turn into something that only makes the world worse off. This book has really gotten me thinking about the world today and what it has become, and I have realized just how technological we have gotten in the past few years.
Everyone we know seems to have facebook, twitter, myspace, or their own personal blog. Some have all three. Now, a person without an account with one of these networking sites is considered out of the loop and a rarity. What started off as social networking sites have taken off and become the way we communicate, the way we keep in touch, the way we find out our information. It seems that in almost every conversation I have with someone, the topic of Facebook is brought up at least once, whether it is gossip about a relationship, news about an event, or what we read in our newsfeed that one friend said to another. One person in class used the example of finding out about the Video Music Awards through people's Facebook statuses. The same thing happened to me: I was simply wasting time on Facebook, probably avoiding work of some sort, when all of a sudden it seemed like everyone's statuses changed to something about Kanye West and how big of a jerk he was. So I decided to see what all the fuss was about and looked his name up on youtube. Sure enough, within minutes, someone had posted a video containing Kanye's now infamous outburst while Taylor Swift was onstage accepting her award, claiming that Beyonce had the best video of all time. I couldn't watch the VMA's, but because of Facebook I felt informed about at least one controversial thing that happened. Although facebook and similar social networking sites can provide a good service in being able to keep in touch with people that we would probably lose touch with and gather important information, it is quickly becoming one of the only ways we communicate. We expect people to check their inbox multiple times a day, or be on Facebook "chat" so that we can talk to them instantly. It seems that with the spread of Facebook and other similar sites, old-fashioned ways of staying in touch are becoming outdated and obsolete. Pretty soon, our personal relationships, interactions, and lives will become so impersonal that we never even talk to our friends. Whereas in the past, you would probably pick up a telephone to speak directly to a friend, now we just rely on the technological brilliance of Facebook and the internet. So many things are now becoming "facebook-ed" now, including facebook jargon becoming a part of our daily language. How much longer will we actually have true interactions with people? With the world becoming more globalized and interconnected, I fear that personal relationships and real interactions will one day be a thing of the past.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I wonder to how far all this social networking and e-communication will go. I think people are relying too heavily on the internet and these social networking sites to conduct relationships. It is not bringing people face to face with each other and is not encouraging any type of deeper communication.

    ReplyDelete