About Me

My photo
I am a senior at Mercer University majoring in Psychology and Spanish. I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate, but right now I am thinking about going to Physical Therapy School.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

What do you know about technology?

As the world is changing and "flattening," technology is expanding at an ever-increasing rate. Technology has entered our lives in ways that we can't even imagine.



If we stopped and thought about it, we would be completely overwhelmed with how much technology has taken over our lives. One of the things that struck me in this video was that the United States is only the 19th ranked country in Broadband Internet Penetration. Looking at the environment around us, we seem to be a pretty technology-savvy country, so the thought that there are even more developed countries in the world is crazy.
The amount of new technical information is doubling every two years. It is estimated that by 2013, a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain. By 2049, a $1000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human species. These advancements in technology mean that jobs will continually advance. Currently, we are training students for jobs that don't exist yet, to solve problems that we don't even know are problems yet, in methods we don't even know about. Technology will not stop where it is. It is inevitable that technology will continue to expand and grow in ways that we cannot even comprehend yet. If that doesn't intimidate you, I don't know what will.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am intimidated. Unfortunately, I am not the most technologically inclined person. I even struggle trying to work blogger! With the rise in technology and the new programs that are underway, it seems inevitable that a person will have to acquire a fairly strong set of computer skills to manage in such a world. I better start trying to figure out the basics now before it is too late, and the new technology completely warps my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're right, this video is overwhelming. It is amazing how fast technology is moving. You know, as we were reading Friedman's The World is Flat, I was amazed in reading about the internet only beginning around 1992. I thought it was incredible how far the internet has gone in such a short period of time, but watching this video just shows that technology hasn't stopped. And we will probably keep being overwhelmed with the pace at which it moves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-very interesting video! This reminds me of the class discussion we had yesterday when we talked about the world's best chess player losing to a supercomputer. As technology becomes more advanced and efficient, people will have to find ways to stand out and make themselves much more attractive to employers.

    ReplyDelete